Social Security Disability

Social Security has an obligation to provide benefits quickly to applicants whose medical conditions are so serious that their conditions obviously meet disability standards. Compassionate Allowances allow Social Security to identify and pay individuals quickly who suffer with certain conditions. To see which conditions meet the Compassionate Allowance criteria, follow this link

Social Security Disability

If you are 50 or older and limited to sedentary or light duty work, it becomes much easier to prove you are disabled and entitled to Social Security Disability benefits. Even if you are a high school graduate with skilled work experience, you may be disabled if your skills are not transferable to other jobs. See Code of Federal Regulations, Appendix 2 to Subpart P of Part 404–Medical-Vocational Guidelines.

Social Security Disability

Some Wounded Warriors and Veterans Who Have a Compensation Rating of 100% P&T are unaware that Social Security may expedite the processing of their disability claims. Veterans are eligible to receive disability insurance and SSI depending on whether they meet the definition of disability, the number of earned credits they have and whether they are engaged in substantial gainful employment. Go to to apply for benefits and learn more.

Social Security Benefits

In order to be eligible for Social Security Retirement, Disability and Survivors Benefits, there must be a minimum number of credits reported. Credits are based on earned income reported by your employer (W2) or you if you are self-employed. It’s important to check you earnings record once a year to make sure Social Security is getting the correct information. You can check your record at You can correct your record, but not after three years, three months and 15 days from the end of the taxable year in which wages were paid. I have seen huge gaps in reported earnings of my clients. So check your earnings record to insure that you get the benefits you deserve.

Parental Rights

The Alabama Supreme Court recently clarified a previous decision regarding the termination of parental rights. A mother moved the juvenile court to terminate the father’s parental rights due to his abandonment. She did not allege that the child was dependent, delinquent, or in need of supervision which is clearly stated in the code to invoke the court’s jurisdiction. The Supremes reasoned that it was the intent of the legislature to give the juvenile court exclusive jurisdiction over all terminations of parental rights when the present code was merged with a former code. Therefore, any party seeking to terminate parental rights for any reason should look to the juvenile court. See, Supreme Court of Alabama, October Term, 2014-2015, 1130250, In re: A.H. v. B.C., Limestone Juvenile Court, JU-13-25.01; Court of Civil Appeals, 2120877.